- We reserve the right to cancel classes that do not have a minimum enrollment.
- Tuition will be refunded if a class is cancelled.
- Tuition will be refunded in full only if City Clay is notified one week in advance of the first class.
- No refunds or exchanges for future classes will be made after the second class.
- Half the tuition will be refunded if a cancellation is made before the second class
- Refunds will not be given for missed classes.
- Missed classes scheduled by City Clay will be added at the end of the session usually during the same time, but some schedule adjustments may be necessary.
- We will follow the Albemarle County school closings for inclement weather. If that seems ridiculous as it sometimes does, check our website for announcements. If the schools are closed, all of our classes we be closed as well. If there is only a delay some or all of our classes will open on time or on a delayed schedule. Please call for a voice mail message, check our website or check Instagram for details.
Open Studio is time is for adults enrolled in classes at CityClay and for CityClay members to use the studio outside of class time based on what you have learned in class. Open Studio does not include instruction from our teachers or other students. If instructors are in the Studio, they are attending to other responsibilities and are not available for instruction. Adults attending classes at City Clay have the option of coming into the studio when the studio is open for classes and or during shop hours. Open Studio hours fluctuate, so please call City Clay to check the schedule beforehand.
In case of inclement weather, City Clay generally follows Albemarle County and Charlottesville City School cancellations. However, please call or check our website at www.cityclaycville.com for announcements in the event that we can offer classes later in the day or at night. If there is only a delay some or all of our classes will open on time or on a delayed schedule. Please call for a voice mail message, check our website, or check Instagram for details.
- Please do not carry on cell phone conversations in the building or in class unless it is an emergency
- Please do not touch work that is not your own unless you are invited to do so. If necessary to move work not he firing shelves do so with care and two hands.
- Do not take pictures of work by others without their permission.
- Clean up after yourself and return everything you have used to the place where you found it. Clean off the counters, wedging tables, slab roller tables and wheel benches after using. Please do not bring unused food containers and please remember to our away all your belongings. We find dozens of water bottles, food containers, clothing and tools each session that are never reclaimed.
Health and Safety
- No smoking is permitted in the Studio. No alcohol or illegal substances are permitted in the Studio or in the Studio parking lot.
- Please check with CityClay staff before eating in the studio, especially during covid.
- If you suffer from mold-related allergies, you may have problems with clay. Check with your doctor before signing up for a class.
- Sanding dry clay or unfired glazed work is not permitted in the Studio. If you need to do so, take your work outside to sand and wear a mask.
- To keep the Studio a healthy place for all of us to work in, please clean up your areas completely before you leave, including the floor where glazes have spilled or dripped. Clay and glazes should not be left to dry on any surface because they can become airborne dust. Please be diligent about this.
- If you have long hair you must wear it pulled back, if you are taking a wheel class or working at a raku firing. It is a good idea to also refrain from wearing a necklace (safety), or bracelets, watches and rings (they can easily get left behind.)
- We reserve the right to ask anyone who does not follow our rules and behave in a manor that is safe and respectful of others to withdraw from the course. Tuition will not be refunded when an individual’s behavior is unacceptable.
From time to time, we may take photographs of children or adults at work in the studios and of the work made in our studios for our publications. Adults and legal guardians of younger students must sign a photo release form. A request to be omitted from the photographs may be requested when enrolling in a class or when photographs are being taken. Students may also choose to have their picture published but without their name.
- Clay is inherently fragile at all stages of the creative process. We do our best to help you avoid disappointing accidents and we will do all we can to protect your work through the firings, but clay objects break, it is a fact of life in a clay studio for which we cannot be held responsible.
- We are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property. Please be mindful of your belongings, do not touch work that does not belong to you, and do not bring unnecessary valuables to the studio.